Sunday, April 12, 2009

Is it possible for healthy, fragrant lilac bushes to grow here in the S.F. Bay area?

I suspect that the beautiful purple, fragrant lilacs I remember from my midwestern childhood were a product of the very cold winters. Is there a way to trick them into growing as profusely here in the mild climate of the bay area? Perhaps someone knows of a special variety? (preferably one that I could propogate myself.) I live on the peninsula where a winter freeze is very, very rare.

Is it possible for healthy, fragrant lilac bushes to grow here in the S.F. Bay area?
Hi Kathryn - I live in Sonoma Cty and I have three healthy, flowering lilac bushes in my yard. We might freeze overnight a handful of times during the winter, but I would think you could definitely grow a lilac well on the peninsula. Good luck!
Reply:We had a lilac bush at our East Bay home, where I grew up. It wasn%26#039;t that different from the peninsula, climatewise.





Good luck!



skin care product reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment